Frequently Asked Questions
How am I charged?
Vans are charged out on a per day basis. Caravans are available to pick up from 8 am and drop off up till 5 pm. (Arrangements can be made outside these times.) Pick up and Drop off days are included in the calculation of Hire Charges – not nightly hire.
Is there a Bond and will I have to pay it?
Yes, you have to pay it. Yes, you will get it back – after we have ensured that the van is returned in the same condition it was in when you hired it. Your Bond will normally be returned within 7 days. Refer to the Hire Contract for more details. The Bond on all hires is $1200.00.
Is the Hire Caravan Insured?
All Tasmanian Caravan Hire caravans are comprehensively insured. A breach of the hire agreement terms and conditions will void this Cover. It is important to read and understand these terms & conditions.
All Awning repairs are the hirer’s responsibility.
Tasmanian Caravan Hire can take no responsibility for valuables left in or stolen from the caravan. Insurance on personal property is the Hirer’s Responsibility.
As stated in the Hire Contract, before you hire one of our Caravans, let’s make sure that our vans are suitable for your needs, and the towing vehicle has the capacity to tow the Caravan that you wish to hire. This information is simple to find:
- Your vehicle Manufacturer’s Owners Handbook. – Towing section: This is where you will find your vehicle’s ‘Gross Vehicle Mass’ rating. Compare this with the weight of the Caravan you wish to hire from us. You then need to consider how much weight (ie, your personal belongings) you add to your hire van, so as to ensure that the total loaded weight complies with your vehicle’s specifications.
- The ‘rating plate’ attached to your car’s towbar. The information on this plate will tell you the rated ‘Maximum Towing Capacity’, in kgs, of your towbar. This will be confirmed on pickup of the Hire Caravan.
- It is the hirer’s responsibility to ensure that the vehicles compatibility and load weights are maintained at all times. We will not accept any responsibility for breaches of load capacity.
Brakes, Brakes & More Brakes??
All Tasmanian Caravan Hire vans are fitted with an ‘electric braking system’; which works in tandem, with the towing vehicle (ie, your car). Your car will need to be wired for electronic brakes. We have available a Portable Brake Control Unit, which will be suitable for most modern vehicles. This unit will be temporarily fitted to your car. Alternatively (and we strongly recommend for longer term hires) we can assist with contact details of a local qualified installer who can fit a suitable, low-cost electric braking accessory to your tow vehicle.
What if I don’t want to Tow it?
Tasmanian Caravan Hire provide a Delivery & Setup and Pack Up & Pickup Service. Conditions and Additional Charges apply. Please enquire, if interested.
Can I bring pets?
Small Pets will be considered. Please discuss PRIOR to Hire.
Additional Cleaning Fees may apply.
What do I need to bring?
You need to bring:
- Bedding – Sheets/ Doonas;
- Towels – Bath & Beach;
- Food / Drinks;
- Board Games, and
- A Good Book
How Does The TV Work?
The TV /DVD players run on 240v or 12v. The aerial can be factory fitted wind up style, or an aerial fitted to the van exterior. Please take note reception may not be available in some areas due to signal strength.
How Does The Fridge Work?
Most Tasmanian Caravan Hire caravans are fitted with Dometic 3 way fridges.
They can run from 3 different power sources.
- 240v connected through caravan power supply;
- Gas mode runs off a gas cylinder stored on the caravan;
- 12v Battery [a fully functional 12 pin trailer socket will be required to run the fridge, please discuss prior to pick up ]
These fridges require a level surface and a minimum 4-5 hours to cool down and operate best out of direct sun.
Will Air Conditioners/Heating and Microwaves run off battery packs??
No, all these appliances require 240v to operate. [Some of our caravans are fitted with Diesel Heaters which do not require 240v to operate.]
What if I have a problem whilst away?
We have a 24 Hour Message Service which will be checked regularly. Call Vin 0448 685 951.
What if I want to stay longer?
Please Call Vin 0448 685 951. If the van you have is not booked – we will be happy to extend your stay. Payment arrangements will need to be made.
The Caravan needs to be returned in the same condition it was in when you hired it. To avoid having to find the time & the inconvenience at the end of your holiday, let us do the cleaning for you. We will clean the van inside & out upon return, we charge $60.00 per hour. Because we are so good at it & well set up for it, on average it takes 2 ½ hours.
Didn’t Find What You’re Looking For?
Didn’t find what you were looking for call,text Vin 0448685951 or shoot me an email by filling out the form here.